Lawrence F Muscarella, PhD, is an internationally known bioengineer and expert with more than 25 years of experience. He is the president of LFM Healthcare Solutions, LLC, which he founded in 2013.
Dr. Muscarella provides case reviews, expert opinions and confidential consulting services for legal representatives and the public on the topics of medical devices, medical errors and adverse events, among other disciplines.
His litigation support services often focus on infection-control lapses, violations of aseptic technique and healthcare-associated infections linked to medical equipment.
Please provide a comment and receive a prompt reply. (Note: Your email address is secure and will not be shared):
(Continued from above)
The broad objectives of Dr. Muscarella’s case reviews and consulting services for legal representatives and the public are to:
- strengthen a case’s justification and scientific foundation
- enhance the case’s merit and value
- research and identify important case details
- offer expert opinions, insights and perspectives
- provide expert advice and expertise
- offer superior scientific guidance and research capabilities
- define the key questions to ask
- achieve the client’s objectives cost-effectively
Some of the more specific objectives of Dr. Muscarella’s case reviews and consulting services include:
- to identify the cause of an infection, outbreak or medical harm (i.e., perform a root cause analysis)
- to identify whether a medical device contributed to the infection
- to determine the infectious organism’s source, reservoir and mode of transmission
- to evaluate the extent of patient harm (i.e., to perform a risk assessment)
- to determine whether the device’s design may be flawed (e.g., perform hazard analyses)
- to evaluate the effectiveness of a reusable device’s disinfection or sterilization procedures or “IFUs”
- to identify and analyze “gaps” in clinical practices, procedures and policies
- to perform a trend analysis and summarize a device’s safety (i.e., review the FDA’s adverse events database)
Dr. Muscarella’s services often focus on reviewing cases and providing expert opinions and advice about healthcare-associated infections linked to the following medical devices, among many others:
- arthroscopic instrumentation including shaver handpieces and associated instrumentation and cannula
- automated endoscope reprocessors, or AERs, which are used in healthcare facilities to clean and disinfect many types of flexible endoscopes, including duodenoscopes and other types of gastrointestinal endoscopes
- bronchoscopes, which may become contaminated with and transmit carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE)
- cystoscopes, both rigid and flexible
- duodenoscopes, colonoscopes and other types of gastrointestinal endoscopes, which may become contaminated with and transmit multidrug-resistant bacteria, including CRE and colistin-resistant bacteria
- heater-cooler devices, which may become colonized with mycobacteria and other types of bacteria and pose an infection risk
- reusable biopsy forceps, which are used in healthcare facilities to sample tissue from a woman’s cervix
Brochure: Download and read Dr. Muscarella’s brochure explaining his expert case reviews.
Bio — Dr. Muscarella’s “bio” may be read by clicking here.
Confidentiality — Click here
C.V. — Download a shortened version of Dr. Muscarella’s current curriculum vitae by clicking here.
Experience — Dr. Muscarella’s experience may be read by clicking here.
Peer-Reviewed Publications: Many of Dr. Muscarella’s published papers may be viewed by clicking here
Note: Dr. Muscarella’s confidentiality and privacy policies are strict. No confidential correspondence of any type, at any time, is disclosed directly or indirectly in this blog — click here for more details.
Inquiry: Submit your confidential inquiry to us by completing this form: