Latest posts by Lawrence F Muscarella PhD (see all)
- Are Enzymatic Detergents the Primary Cause of The Inflammatory Eye Reaction Called TASS? A recently published article investigates risk factors for TASS. - March 31, 2018
- New Guidance to Prevent Other Types of Flexible Endoscopes From Transmitting Superbugs. A new practice is provided to prevent contaminated gastroscopes, echo-endoscopes and other types of flexible endoscopes from infecting patients with multidrug-resistant bacteria - March 26, 2018
- FDA Warns Duodenoscope Manufacturers for Not Completing Ordered Surveillance Studies - March 15, 2018
The following are a list of articles about disinfection and sterilization that are available for reading on the Internet and that provide insight into quality and both the prevention of healthcare-associated infections (“HAIs”) and the control of disease transmission during, for example, colonoscopy and bronchoscopy.
- Harris AD, et al. Universal Glove and Gown Use and Acquisition of Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria in the ICU. A Randomized Trial. JAMA E1-E10. Published online October 4, 2013. Click here.
- Hong KH, Lim YJ. “Recent Update of Gastrointestinal Endoscope Reprocessing” Clin Endosc 2013;46:267-273). Click here.
- McKenna M. The Last Resort: An article about “CRE.” Nature 25 July 2013;499:394-6. Click here.
- Ramsey AH, et al. An Outbreak of Bronchoscopy-Related Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infections Due to Lack of Bronchoscope Leak Testing. Chest 2002;121;976-981. Click here.
- Schaefer MK, et al. Infection Control Assessment of Ambulatory
Surgical Centers. JAMA 2010;303(22):2273-2279. Click here.
- An estimation of the global volume of surgery: a modelling strategy based on available data (PDF) Weiser TG et al. Lancet 2008;372:139–44
- Bronchoscope Reprocessing and Infection Prevention and Control: Bronchoscopy-Specific Guidelines Are Needed (PDF)
Srinivasan A et al. Chest 2004;125:307–314
- Challenging endoscopy reprocessing guidelines: a prospective study investigating the safe shelf life of flexible endoscopes in a tertiary gastroenterology unit (PDF) Osborne S et al. Endoscopy 2007;39:825–830
- Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease: Recommendations for Disinfection and Sterilization (PDF) Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2001;32:1348–56
- Current issues in endoscope reprocessing and infection control during gastrointestinal endoscopy (PDF) Nelson DB, Muscarella LF. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2006;12:3953–3964
- Decontamination of minimally invasive surgical endoscopes and accessories (PDF) Ayliffe G, Minimal Access Therapy Decontamination Working Group. Journal of Hospital Infection 2000;45:263–277
- Disinfection and Sterilization in Health Care Facilities: What Clinicians Need to Know (PDF) Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2004;39:702–9
- Disinfection of a Probe Used in Ultrasound-Guided Prostate Biopsy (PDF)
Rutala WA, Gergen, MF, Weber DJ. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2007;28:916–919
- Disinfection of Endoscopes: Review of New Chemical Sterilants Used for High-Level Disinfection (PDF) Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 1999;20:69–76
- ESGE/ESGENA guideline for process validation and routine testing for reprocessing endoscopes in washer-disinfectors, according to the European Standard prEN ISO 15883 parts 1, 4 and 5 (PDF) Beilenhoff U et al. Endoscopy 2007; 39:85–94
- ESGE-ESGENA guideline for quality assurance in reprocessing: Microbiological surveillance testing in endoscopy (PDF) Beilenhoff U et al. Endoscopy 2007;39:175–181
- How to Assess Risk of Disease Transmission to Patients When There Is a Failure to Follow Recommended Disinfection and Sterilization Guidelines (PDF) Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2007;28:146–155
- Impact of an Oil-Based Lubricant on the Effectiveness of the Sterilization Processes (PDF) Rutala WA, Gergen MF, Weber DJ. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2008;29:69–72
- The Importance of Bronchoscope Reprocessing Guidelines: Raising the Standard of Care (PDF) Muscarella, LF, Haponik EF, Perl TM. Chest 2004;126:1001–1003
- Importance of cleaning for reprocessing endoscopes and thermolabile sterile medical devices: French use and regulations (PDF) Darbord JC. Journal of Hospital Infection 2004;56:S40–S43
- Infection control during GI endoscopy (PDF)
The Standards of Practice Committee of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2008;67:781–90
- Infection Control in the Bronchoscopy Suite: A Review of Outbreaks and Guidelines for Prevention (PDF) Culver DA, Gordon SM, Mehta AC. American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine 2003;167:1050–1056
- Managing the risk of nosocomial transmission of prion diseases (PDF) Weber DJ, Rutala WA. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases 2002;15:421–425
- Multi-society Guideline for Reprocessing Flexible Gastrointestinal Endoscopes (PDF) Nelson DB, et al. Infection Control and Hospital and Epidemiology 2003;24:532–7
- Prevention of disease transmission during flexible laryngoscopy (PDF)
Muscarella LF. American Journal of Infection Control 2007;35:536–44
- Recent advances in epidemiology and prevention of gastrointestinal endoscopy related infections (PDF) Nelson DB. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases 2005;18:326–330
- Reprocessing endoscopes: United States perspective (PDF) Rutala WA, Weber DJ. Journal of Hospital Infection 2004;56:S27–S39
- Reprocessing failure (PDF) The Standards of Practice Committee of the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2007;66:869–71
- Utilization of colonoscopy in the United States: results from a national consortium (PDF) Lieberman DA et al. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2005;62:875–83