Latest posts by Lawrence F Muscarella PhD (see all)
- Are Enzymatic Detergents the Primary Cause of The Inflammatory Eye Reaction Called TASS? A recently published article investigates risk factors for TASS. - March 31, 2018
- New Guidance to Prevent Other Types of Flexible Endoscopes From Transmitting Superbugs. A new practice is provided to prevent contaminated gastroscopes, echo-endoscopes and other types of flexible endoscopes from infecting patients with multidrug-resistant bacteria - March 26, 2018
- FDA Warns Duodenoscope Manufacturers for Not Completing Ordered Surveillance Studies - March 15, 2018
Dr. Muscarella has authored many papers on the topics of infection control, disinfection, sterilization, endoscope reprocessing, aseptic technique, root cause analyses, risk assessments, medical errors, central line-associated bloodstream infections, among other topics.
Three samples of Dr. Muscarella’s recent peer-reviewed, published articles that focus on several of these topics are available below:
 Muscarella LF: “Risk of transmission of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae and related ‘superbugs’ during gastrointestinal endoscopy” (World J Gastrointest Endosc 2014; 6:457-474). Click here (PDF format) or click here (in “html” format) to download this free article.
- Article categories: Gastrointestinal endoscopy, disease transmission, carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae, “superbugs,” antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and beta-lactam antibiotics.
 Muscarella LF: “Other Possible Causes of a Well-Publicized Outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Following Arthroscopy in Texas.” Click here (and then, once on the landed page, click the red PDF link) to download this free article.
- Article categories: Root cause analyses, risk assessments, quality improvements, sterilization, disease transmission, and aseptic technique.
 Muscarella LF: “Medical errors, infection-control breaches and the use of adulterated and mis-branded medical devices.” Click here to download this free article.
- Article categories: Medical errors, infection-control breaches FDA regulation of medical devices, risk assessments, sterilization, and disease transmission.
 Muscarella LF: “Assessment of the Reported Effectiveness of Five Different Quality-Improvement Initiatives for the Prevention of Central Line-Associated Bloodstream Infections in Intensive Care Units.” Click here to download this free article.
- Article categories: Risk assessments, quality improvements, central lines, bloodstream infections, and study designed and methodologies.
Other articles by Dr. Muscarella include:
- Agrawal D, Muscarella LF. Delayed reprocessing of endoscopes. Gastrointest Endosc 2011 Apr;73(4):853-4.
- Muscarella LF. The investigation and prevention of infectious outbreaks during endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography. Endoscopy 2010 Nov;42(11):957-9. [Featured editorial]
- Muscarella LF. The study of a contaminated colonoscope. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2010 Jul;8(7):577-580.
- Muscarella LF. Evaluation of the risk of transmission of bacterial biofilms and Clostridium difficile during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastroenterol Nurs. 2010 Jan-Feb;33(1):28-35.
- Muscarella LF. Reassessment of the risk of healthcare-acquired infection during rigid laryngoscopy. J Hosp Infect 2008;68(2):101-107.
- Muscarella LF. The prevention of disease transmission during flexible laryngoscopy. Am J Infect Control 2007;35:536-44.
- Muscarella LF. Recommendations to resolve inconsistent guidelines for reprocessing sheathed and un-sheathed rigid laryngoscopes. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007 Apr;28(4):504-7.
- Muscarella LF. Endoscopic shuffling, infection control, and the clinical practice of push enteroscopy. Gastroenterol Nurs 2007 Mar-Apr;30(2):109-15.
- Muscarella LF. Inconsistencies in endoscope-reprocessing and infection-control guidelines. The importance of endoscope drying. Am J Gastroenterol 2006 Sep; 101(9):2147-54.
- Muscarella LF. The risk of disease transmission associated with inadequate disinfection of gastrointestinal flexible endoscopes. J Hosp Infect 2006 Jul;63(3):345-347.
- Nelson DB, Muscarella LF. Current issues in endoscope reprocessing and infection control during gastrointestinal endoscopy. World J Gastroenterol 2006 July 7;12(25):3953-3964.
- Muscarella LF. Critique of a FDA-CDC public health advisory that discusses inadequate automated bronchoscope reprocessing. J Hosp Infect 2006 Oct;64(2):191-3.
- Hamasuna R, Nose K, Osada Y, Muscarella LF. Correction: high-level disinfection of cystoscopic equipment with ortho-phthalaldehyde solution. J Hosp Infect 2005 Dec;61(4):363-4.
- Muscarella LF, DiMarino AJ. “Endoscope disinfection.” In: Advanced Therapy in Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, 5th Edition. Chapter 4, pp. 23-28 (2004).
- Muscarella LF. Dear Los Angeles Times: The risk of disease transmission during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastroenterology Nurs 2004 Nov-Dec;27(6):271-8.
- Muscarella LF, Haponik EF, Perl TM. The importance of bronchoscope reprocessing guidelines. Raising the standard of care. Chest 2004;126:1001-3.
- Muscarella LF. Recommendations for the prevention of transmission of SARS during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2004;60(5):792-5.
- Muscarella LF. Infection control and its application to the administration of intravenous medications during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Am J Infect Control 2004 Aug;32(5):282-6.
- Muscarella LF. Is gastrointestinal endoscopy a risk factor for Whipple’s disease? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004 Jun;25(6):453-4; author reply 455.
- Muscarella LF. Contribution of tap water and environmental surfaces to nosocomial transmission of antibiotic-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2004 Apr;25(4):342-5.
- Muscarella LF. Bronchoscope reprocessing: Are changes needed? Chest 14 January 2004.
- Muscarella LF. Application of environmental sampling to flexible endoscope reprocessing: The importance of monitoring the rinse water. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002 May;23:285-9.
- Muscarella LF. Leading a horse to water. Are crucial lessons in endoscopy and outbreak investigations being learned? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2002 Jul;23(7):358-60.
- Muscarella LF. Limited surveillance in the endoscopic setting: Has its time arrived? AJIC Am J Infect Control 2002 Feb;30(1):66-7.
- Muscarella LF. Anthrax: Is there a risk of cross-infection during endoscopy? Gastroenterology Nurs 2002 Mar-Apr;25(2):46-8.
- Muscarella LF. Recommendations for preventing hepatitis C virus infection: Analysis of a Brooklyn endoscopy clinic’s outbreak. Infect Control Hospital Epidemiol 2001 Nov;22(11):669.
- Muscarella LF. Disinfecting endoscopes immediately before the first patient of the day. AORN J 2001 June 2001;73(6):1159-1163.
- Muscarella LF. Current instrument reprocessing practices. Results of a national survey. Gastroenterol Nurs 2001;24(5):253-60.
- Muscarella LF. Biopsy forceps: Disposable or reusable? Gastroenterol Nurs 2001; 24(2):64-8.
- Muscarella LF. Déjà vu … all over again. The importance of instrument drying. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2000 Oct;21(10):628-9.
- Muscarella LF. Automatic flexible endoscope reprocessors. Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am 2000 Apr;10(2):245-257.
- Muscarella LF. What is disinfection, sterilization? Gastrointest Endosc 1999;50(2): 301-3.
- Muscarella LF. Commentary. Gastroenterol Nurs 1999 Jul-Aug;22(4):179-80.
- Muscarella LF. Are all sterilization processes alike? AORN J 1998 May;67:966-76.
- Muscarella LF. Soaking endoscopes in 2% glutaraldehyde for 20 minutes: a risk management perspective. Am J Infect Control 1998 Apr;26(2):153-5.
- Muscarella LF. Anticipated reliability of liquid chemical sterilants. Am J Infect Control 1998 Apr;26(2):155-6.
- Muscarella LF. Instrument design and cross-infection. AORN J 1998 Mar;67(3):552-6.
- Muscarella LF. Advantages and limitations of automatic flexible endoscope reprocessors. AJIC Am J Infect Control 1996;24:304-9.
- Muscarella LF. High-level disinfection or ‘sterilization’ of endoscopes? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1996;17:183-7.
- Muscarella LF. Sterilizing dental equipment. Nature Medicine 1995 Dec;1(12):1223-5.
- Muscarella LF. Abdominal fluid contamination of laparoscopic insufflators. J Gynecologic Surg 1994;10(1):51-3.
- Muscarella LF. The difficulty of reprocessing reusable rigid endoscopic instruments: Are disposables the solution? J Gynecologic Surg 1994;10(2):121-3.
- Muscarella LF, Pathak AS, Takashirna, et al. Quantitative analysis of the Landis method. Microvasc Res 1993;45(1):46-64.
- Muscarella LF, Vasthare U, Tuma RF, et al. The effect of ultrasound on regional cerebral blood flow in neonatal rats. UItrasound Med Biol 1991;17(9):893-899.
- Salotto AG, Muscarella LF, Melbin J, et al. Pressure pulse transmission into vascular beds. Microvasc Res 1986; 32:152-163.