As quoted in USA Today:
- “As COVID-19 spread, the feds relaxed rules, and hospitals tried to contain the outbreak. Other infections may have risen” (August 5, 2020)
Dr. Muscarella’s 5 most recent postings:
- Do Bronchoscopes Pose a Risk of Transmitting ‘Superbugs’?
- Sterilization of Duodenoscopes Found to Terminate ‘Superbug’ Outbreaks Other effective measures include returning the endoscope to the manufacturer for servicing.
- New Guidance for Hospitals Considering the Sterilization of Flexible Endoscopes A newly developed 3-tiered classification scheme based on the infection risk is discussed.
- A Colonoscope is Linked to Two Infections of the Nightmarish ‘CRE’ Superbug. Colonoscopy could now also be a risk factor for infection, in addition to ERCP and bronchoscopy.
Expert Consulting, Forensic Services — LFM-Healthcare Solutions, LLC provides medical expertise and solutions for healthcare facilities, device manufacturers and patients, specializing in the causes and prevention of healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) linked to contaminated medical equipment. Years of experience, reasonably priced services. Click here.
Some of Dr. Muscarella’s most recent peer-reviewed articles:
- Muscarella LF. Use of ethylene-oxide gas sterilisation to terminate multidrug-resistant bacterial outbreaks linked to duodenoscopes. BMJ Open Gastro August 2019.
- Mehta AC, Muscarella LF. Bronchoscope-Related “Superbug” Infections. CHEST August 2019.
- Muscarella LF. Risk of transmission of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae and related “superbugs” during gastrointestinal endoscopy. World J Gastrointest Endosc October 2014.
A Proposed Paradigm Shift Regarding How We Clean Endoscopes:
- Gastroenterology & Endoscopy News: “Which Flexible Scopes Really Need Sterilization?” (Oct. 23, 2019)
- Running Out of Runway — A Podcast: Dr. Lawrence Muscarella’s talks about “Building a Case for a Paradigm Shift in Endoscope Reprocessing” (Produced by Beyond Clean; Oct. 28, 2019)
Dr. Muscarella’s other relevant peer-reviewed articles:
- Muscarella LF. Infection control and its application to the administration of intravenous medications during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Am J Infect Control 2004 Aug;32(5):282-6.
- Muscarella LF. The study of a contaminated colonoscope. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Jul;8(7):577-80.e1.
- Nelson DB, Muscarella LF. Current issues in endoscope reprocessing and infection control during gastrointestinal endoscopy. World J Gastroenterol 2006 Jul 7;12(25):3953-64.
- Muscarella LF. Other Possible Causes of a Well-Publicized Outbreak of Pseudomonas aeruginosa Following Arthroscopy in Texas. Advances in Infectious Diseases 2013;3(2):134-145.
- Muscarella LF. Inconsistencies in endoscope-reprocessing and infection-control guidelines. The importance of endoscope drying. Am J Gastroenterol 2006 Sep; 101(9):2147-54.
Inquiries: — Submit your confidential inquiry by clicking here.
Dr. Muscarella has provided expert guidance on the following TV news programs — CNN | NBC’s The Today Show | NBC’s Nightly News with Lester Holt | ABC World News Tonight | CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley | Wall Street Journal Live | WWL-TV News (New Orleans, LA) | CNC-TV News (NBC, Charlotte, NC)
Some of Dr. Muscarella’s radio interviews and quotes in the press include — USA TODAY | New York Times | CNN | The Washington Post | Wall Street Journal | CBS News Radio (Los Angeles, CA) | Philadelphia Inquirer | Los Angeles Times | Bloomberg Business | NPR Radio (Los Angeles) | The Los Angeles Times | Scientific America | The Seattle Times | Reuters | Highlands Today | The Palm Beach Post | MassLive! | Los Angeles Times | Bloomberg Business | Newsweek | Al Jazeera America | KNX-1070 NewsRadio | CBS News 3 | CBS News 2 | ABC6 On-Your-Side | The Associated Press | The San Francisco Chronicle | WSOC-TV Eyewitness News | Reuters | The Los Angeles Times | USA TODAY | The Seattle Times | The Iowa City Gazette | NJ.com | The Philadelphia Inquirer | Winston-Salem Journal | Wall Street Journal | San Juan Weekly
Paid memberships — This site is subscription-based and requires a membership. Each newly posted article may be read, free-of-charge, within the first week of its publication. Thereafter, a paid membership is required.
Search postings — Click here to search within this blog for a posting about a specific topic.
Disclaimer — Lawrence F Muscarella PhD is the owner of LFM Healthcare Solutions, LLC, a Pennsylvania-based quality improvement and consulting company that has provides safety services for hospitals, manufacturers and the public since 2013.
LFM Healthcare Solutions, LLC, owns, publishes, and is solely responsible for the content of “Discussions in Infection Control.” © Copyright 2013-2019. All Rights Reserved.