Dr. Muscarella has more than 25 years of experience in the following topics and disciplines, among others: investigating the causes (and prevention) of hospital infections medical device design and engineering injury case reviews litigation support, case reviews, expert opinions and...
JUST IN, Dr. Muscarella, In the News —
- Seattle Times: “Before mea culpa, Children’s was confident its air systems weren’t source of infection.” November 26, 2019.
- CBS Philly 3 News: “EXCLUSIVE: Lourdes Hospital Transplant Center Admits Giving Wrong Person Kidney Transplant.” November 26, 2019.
ALSO JUST IN, Dr. Muscarella, In the News —
- WCNC (NBC Charlotte, NC): “Bacteria from hospital water is killing patients” — YouTube (entire aired story). November 20, 2019.
- WCNC (NBC Charlotte, NC): “Hospital water can make patients ill, but most don’t have to report infections” — video and text. November 13, 2019.
- WCNC (NBC, Charlotte, NC): “They went to the hospital for help and the water sickened them” — video and text. November 12, 2019.
BREAKING TOO —
New York Times: “New York Identifies Hospitals and Nursing Homes With Deadly Fungus.” November 13, 2019.
NBC News: “Bacteria that killed 3 infants traced to Pennsylvania hospital equipment.” November 8, 2019.
- Danville News: “Officials looking into source of bacteria.” October 10, 2019.
A Proposed Paradigm Shift Regarding How We Clean Endoscopes
- Gastroenterology & Endoscopy News: “Which Flexible Scopes Really Need Sterilization?” (Oct. 23, 2019)
- Running Out of Runway — A Podcast: Dr. Lawrence Muscarella’s talks about “Building a Case for a Paradigm Shift in Endoscope Reprocessing” (Produced by Beyond Clean; Oct. 28, 2019)
Also Just In
- “Study: Flexible Bronchoscopes Pose Under-Recognized Potential for MDRO Transmission” (A blog by Ambu Inc.)
- “Sterilization of Duodenoscopes Found to Terminate ‘Superbug’ Outbreaks” (Discussions in Infection Control)
- Coming soon! A discussion about the risk of bronchoscopes transmitting “superbugs”
Dr. Muscarella’s recent peer-reviewed articles:
- Muscarella LF. Use of ethylene-oxide gas sterilisation to terminate multidrug-resistant bacterial outbreaks linked to duodenoscopes. BMJ Open Gastro August 2019.
- Mehta AC, Muscarella LF. Bronchoscope-Related “Superbug” Infections. CHEST August 2019.
- Muscarella LF. Risk of transmission of carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae and related “superbugs” during gastrointestinal endoscopy. World J Gastrointest Endosc October 2014.
Infection Prevention … In the News
- New York Times (Aug. 6, 2019): “Why Are These Medical Instruments So Tough to Sterilize?”
- Reuters (Aug. 30, 2019): “Oklahoma hospital used dirty gastroscopes on almost 1,000 patients; no infections reported“
- Daily Item (Oct. 10, 2019): “Officials looking into source of bacteria“
Dr. Muscarella’s other relevant peer-reviewed articles:
- Muscarella LF. Infection control and its application to the administration of intravenous medications during gastrointestinal endoscopy. Am J Infect Control 2004 Aug;32(5):282-6.
- Muscarella LF. The study of a contaminated colonoscope. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Jul;8(7):577-80.e1.
- Nelson DB, Muscarella LF. Current issues in endoscope reprocessing and infection control during gastrointestinal endoscopy. World J Gastroenterol 2006 Jul 7;12(25):3953-64.
- Muscarella LF; New York State health officials. Recommendations for preventing hepatitis C virus infection: analysis of a Brooklyn endoscopy clinic’s outbreak. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2001 Nov;22(11):669.
Consulting Services — LFM-Healthcare Solutions, LLC provides medical expertise and solutions for hospitals, manufacturers, and the public, specializing in healthcare-associated infections linked to medical equipment. Services include litigation support. Years of experience. Reasonable rates.
Significant “Firsts” — Click here for a list of some of the salient infection risks and identified adverse events reported “first” by Discussions in Infection Control.
Inquiries: — Submit your confidential inquiry by clicking here.
Dr. Muscarella’s 7 most recent postings —
- Sterilization of Duodenoscopes Found to Terminate ‘Superbug’ Outbreaks Other effective measures include returning the endoscope to the manufacturer for servicing.
- New Guidance for Hospitals Considering the Sterilization of Flexible Endoscopes A newly developed 3-tiered classification scheme based on the infection risk is discussed.
- A Colonoscope is Linked to Two Infections of the Nightmarish ‘CRE’ Superbug. Colonoscopy could now also be a risk factor for infection, in addition to ERCP and bronchoscopy.
- A Bronchoscope is Linked Again in the U.S. to an Outbreak of the Feared ‘CRE’ Superbug Safety Notice: Is enough being done to improve the safety of bronchoscopes? And, several bronchoscope models are recalled.
- Are Enzymatic Detergents the Primary Cause of The Inflammatory Eye Reaction Called TASS? A recently published article investigates risk factors for TASS.
- New Guidance to Prevent Other Types of Flexible Endoscopes From Transmitting Superbugs. A new practice is provided to prevent contaminated gastroscopes, echo-endoscopes and other types of flexible endoscopes from infecting patients with multidrug-resistant bacteria
- FDA Warns Duodenoscope Manufacturers for Not Completing Ordered Surveillance Studies
Dr. Muscarella has provided expert guidance on the following TV news programs — CNN | NBC’s The Today Show | NBC’s Nightly News with Lester Holt | ABC World News Tonight | CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley | Wall Street Journal Live | WWL-TV News (New Orleans, LA) | CNC-TV News (NBC, Charlotte, NC)
Some of Dr. Muscarella’s radio interviews and quotes in the press include — USA TODAY | New York Times | CNN | The Washington Post | Wall Street Journal | CBS News Radio (Los Angeles, CA) | Philadelphia Inquirer | Los Angeles Times | Bloomberg Business | NPR Radio (Los Angeles) | The Los Angeles Times | Scientific America | The Seattle Times | Reuters | Highlands Today | The Palm Beach Post | MassLive! | Los Angeles Times | Bloomberg Business | Newsweek | Al Jazeera America | KNX-1070 NewsRadio | CBS News 3 | CBS News 2 | ABC6 On-Your-Side | The Associated Press | The San Francisco Chronicle | WSOC-TV Eyewitness News | Reuters | The Los Angeles Times | USA TODAY | The Seattle Times | The Iowa City Gazette | NJ.com | The Philadelphia Inquirer | Winston-Salem Journal | Wall Street Journal | San Juan Weekly
Paid memberships — This site is subscription-based and requires a membership. Each newly posted article may be read, free-of-charge, within the first week of its publication. Thereafter, a paid membership is required.
Search postings — Click here to search within this blog for a posting about a specific topic.
Disclaimer — Lawrence F Muscarella PhD is the owner of LFM Healthcare Solutions, LLC, a Pennsylvania-based quality improvement and consulting company that has provides safety services for hospitals, manufacturers and the public since 2013.
LFM Healthcare Solutions, LLC, owns, publishes, and is solely responsible for the content of “Discussions in Infection Control.” © Copyright 2013-2019. All Rights Reserved.